Frequently Asked Questions
Who are we?
The Barony of Altavia is a local chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). The SCA is a non-profit 501(c) society dedicated to researching and recreating the Middle Ages in the present.
The Barony of Altavia includes the San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita, and Malibu, and is part of the Kingdom of Caid.
Kingdom of Caid includes Southern California, Greater Las Vegas Area, and Hawaii.
Print: Doubled-sided, Landscape mode
- Are you in a play?
- Is this the Renaissance Faire?
- Can you come talk to my class/school?
- How much does it cost to be a member?
- How often do you guys do this?
- Where do you do this stuff?
- What is that fighting with all the swords and shields and heavy armor?
- Are they really hitting each other?
- Does it hurt?
- How much does it cost to get all that armor?
- Can I learn to do that?
- Can women fight?
- Are there any rules about wearing [purple, crowns, black velvet, circlets]?
- How do I get a name or a coat of arms? (Can I use my family coat of arms?)
- What about meetings, workshops, practices, tourneys, and events?
- What should I wear?
- What should I bring?
- How can I write a letter recommending someone for an award?
- Some Definitions
- The Actual Laws
- Some Traditions
- How to Understand the Laws and Traditions (lots of pictures here)
- More Resources
Other Links of Interest:
- Resources and Information for Newcomers — This page is aimed at helping newcomers to the Society for Creative Anachronism get started.
- Forward Into the Past (PDF) An introductory guide published by the Society.
- Your Teenager and the SCA – Some Answers for Parents
- The Society for Creative Anachronism web page
- The Kingdom of Caid web page